Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Embroidery Hoop Monogram 'Wreath'


Front door to my-a house 
I love the upcycling going on with embroidery hoops. I'm not into 'cutesy' and I'm not into 'country' (although I love rustic vintage)  but I didn't immediately dismiss the use of the hoop- (which in the past, would be classified as country decor) because I think that there are some really clever ideas for using them in addition to cross stiching...
but this is my favorite!
A MONOGRAM WALL HANGING or DOOR WREATH.


I had the chance to get out of town with some girl friends back in January for a crafting weekend. We sort of hang out and make stuff. I brought along this huge 18" embroidery hoop that I bought at JoAnn's for $4 (I used my coupon) and some burlap. One of the other gals had chevron fabric and a few of us made these monogram wreaths.  We made stencils of our initials, traced and painted on the fabric. (I guess if your talented you could actually embroider...) but I had a couple of fabric choices done lickity split.


Learn from my mistake, though. So after a while the fabric started to sort of stretch...and I got creases in my fabric...it looked like it needed to be ironed. I took the fabric off of the hoop and reset the fabric in order to make it more taught. I may have to keep doing this, not sure. May depend on how much "give" your fabric has in it. 

ALSO: If you are going to hang on your front door, secure this with ribbon or wire, because even a small gust can send this light as a feather 'wreath'  into next week. 

XXXOOO.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. thank you, Celia! I'll have to think of some fun crafts for you to do this summer ;)
      I think your mom should teach you how to embroider; it would be a fun spin on the old fashioned 'samplers' if you made one or even several small ones, that captured some of our old favorite family quotes...like "it's the bees knees", or "what's $10 more when you've come this far", or "Oh, look at the Laurel",or like the pic above: "You're the cat's pajamas"! You're mom could tell you the stories behind them all. Bet you can come up with a few :) What do you think?

      Delete
  2. I just found your blog and love it! I am a follower now. I run a craft competition blog and am looking for guest judges for the month of March. I would love to have you.
    Come on by and look around.
    www.thecsiproject.com
    Email me if you are interested.
    dee@thecsiproject.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much for stopping by, Dee!!! I LOVE THE CSI PROJECT!!! I'd be thrilled to judge in March; I'll shoot you an email. So glad you've become a member and I can't wait to team up in March!
      XXXOOO!

      Delete